MEDC Opens New Power Stations
Muscat Electricity Distribution Company (MEDC), a member of Nama Group, has invested more than OMR 7m in the establishment of new power stations with a total capacity of 176 MVA. This investment also included the extension of new power lines as part of the company's plan. The establishment of the new power stations was done in preparation to Summer 2019 in Muscat Governorate.
The plan also includes (5) main power stations as follows:
- Two main power stations with the capacity of 3 x 20 MVA
- Bowsher Power Station (2)
- Al-Rusail Power Station (8) (Knowledge Oasis)
- The investments also included the expansion of the Al-Ma’bila and Southern Al-Khuwair Power Stations from 2X20 MVA to 3X20 MVA.
- The company has also executed a project for changing the transformers of Al-Qurum Power Station (2) from 2X16 MVA to 2X20 MVA.
These investments came to cover the growing demand for electricity in Muscat Governorate, especially during summer where loads rise up due to the high consumption. Knowing that these power stations have undergone examinations and tests by the control devices of the company’s engineers, to ensure their operational readiness and efficiency.
These power stations are distributed across the various wilayats of Muscat Governorates and focused on the regions that experience significant growth in terms of urban expansion in Al-Ma'bila and Al-Amerat, where there is increasing demand on electricity.
As a result of the expansion of the company's power network in Muscat Governorate based on a clear strategic program, the company has managed to connect electricity service to 95% of the new subscribers without a waiting period, thanks to the projects that were already implemented. The number of subscribers has reached 393,166 at the end of March 2019.